Since our launch of the Forerunner 10 just two weeks ago, we’ve been hearing from runners of all abilities telling us why their miles matter and why the Forerunner 10 would be the perfect partner to motivate them through the miles ahead. Check out the latest comments from followers of fitnessista and be sure to tell us why your miles matter at #myforerunner. Today, as I joined my coworker Marisa for a predawn 8-miler with our Forerunner 10s, I thought about all the reasons I love this watch, which happens to be a perfect 10.
- Personal records: After completing a run, if I achieved a new PR, a little screen pops up announcing that I hit my fastest mile, fastest 5k, 10k or longest run. It’s like getting an atta-girl at the finish line. My Forerunner noticed!
- Run sum: Here’s another fun “way to go” when you complete a run. After you save your run, a summary screen pops up showing your total time, distance, average pace and calories. Saves you the step of going to the watch’s history to find your stats.
- Colorful: Choose from sporty green, popping pink or the sleek black with red (this model is slightly larger in size than the green and pink versions). I happen to love that both the pink and green models compliment my favorite race shirt — supporting Girls on the Run SoleMates!
- Lightweight: I’ve been running arm-and-arm with various Garmin Forerunners for 8 years, so I’ve definitely seen an evolution in size and form factor. The 10 is our biggest leap yet.
6. Easy as 1-2: I don’t even think there’s a step 3. It’s that easy. Tap a button to find satellites, tap it again to start the timer, then go.
7. Backlight: Sometimes it’s the little things that matter, and I love that the backlight on this watch flashes on when I hit a mile split. So for my predawn runs, when I hear the beep signaling I hit my next mile, I can quickly glance at my watch and clearly see my time for that mile.
8. Store & share: I’m a big fan of Garmin Connect, and deep down, I feel if a run isn’t in my Garmin Connect history, it didn’t happen. So of course I love that it’s one simple connection to my computer to get my runs from my watch to the Garmin Connect site, where I can see it on map, get more detail and share with friends and fans.
9. Price is right: At $129.99, this watch is truly giftable. It’s a perfect entry-way device for a friend of mine who’s training for his first 5k, for a niece who’ll be off to college next year and not able to borrow her mom’s Forerunner, for a neighbor and breast cancer survivor who walks every day to regain her strength and keep her health in check.
10. Charge it: This is kind of geeky, but I like the little charging cradle that comes with the device—it snaps in securely so my watch can quietly recharge while I go about my work.