Using your smartphone abroad can result in steep roaming fees, especially when using a navigation app that requires map downloads through a data connection. Garmin’s onboard apps solve this problem by storing the map data on the phone, so there is no need for a data connection when navigating – and thus no hefty cell phone bill upon your return. You just have to make sure to turn off data roaming on your phone and our apps will use the GPS signal to determine your position.Garmin just recently launched StreetPilot iPhone navigation apps for Thailand, Singapore and Malaysia. Overall, we offer navigation apps for over 80 countries around the globe, including our StreetPilot and NAVIGON branded products. And aside from saving roaming fees, there are other reasons, why you should consider one of these apps when traveling abroad:
- Travel light: No need to take an extra device, just load the app to your phone and you're good to go.
- Know about road regulations: Road regulations may differ from country to country, so features like speed limit displays and warnings as well as lane guidance can be of great help. Our NAVIGON apps even include a Country Info feature providing important information about road regulations when crossing a border (very useful on a roadtrip across Europe).
- Find points of interest: Millions of preloaded points of interest will ensure that you find that hotel or restaurant you’re looking for.
- Visual guidance: 3D landmarks and buildings can help orient you when exploring a city by foot.
- Find parking: Most of our apps include a feature that helps you find parking spots in unfamiliar cities quickly, so you don’t get stressed out at the last mile.
 Please note that live services such as traffic or weather won’t be available without a data connection and these services may involve roaming fees when used abroad.