Long before we launched our Super Bowl plans we realized that there's a little piece of Garmin Man and Maposaurus inside all of us. We want you to have a chance to relax. Release the stress that's been building as you fight your own monsters. We want to see the strength of your "Inner Garmin Man."
What? Timeout.... Forget the shrink mumbo-jumbo. We're launching another contest. This one has a HUGE prize. You could win a nüvi 660. Feel free to get a jumpstart on this contest over the weekend, but you'll need to come back on Monday for details on how to submit your video.
The concept is pretty simple though... make a YouTube(TM) video spoofing our Super Bowl commercial or Super Bowl music video. Your YouTube video should illustrate your "Inner Garmin Man" or how you fight your personal "Driving Demons." An expert panel, led by our pal Chet, will choose the winner (and nuvi 660 recipient) on March 1, 2007.
Visit the Garmin blog next week and we'll tell give you the details on how to submit your work of art.
(click on the jump to see full contest rules)
“Grab Your Garmin” Super Bowl Commercial Contest
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. MUST BE 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER TO ENTER. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
Contest Description: In conjunction with the debut of our “Garmin Man” Super Bowl commercial, this Garmin contest offers entrants the opportunity to submit their own “commercials” to Garmin that depict or illustrate the creator’s own vision of his/her “Inner Garmin Man” or personal “Driving Demon” (the “Contest”). Winners will be chosen on a number of subjective factors, including video and story creativity, uniqueness, suitability, etc. The following Official Rules constitute a legal agreement between contest participants (“contestants”, “you” or “your”) and Garmin International, Inc. and/or its affiliated companies ("Garmin", "we", "us", "our").
1. Eligibility: The Contest is open only to individuals who are legal residents of the fifty (50) United States or the District of Columbia and are eighteen (18) years of age or older at the time of entry. Employees and their immediate families of Garmin and any of its affiliated companies are not eligible. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited by law.
2. Agreement to Official Rules: Participation in the Contest constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules and the decisions of Garmin, which are final and binding.
3. Contest term: The Contest begins at 12:01 a.m. Central Standard Time (“CST”) on February 3, 2007 and ends at 11:59 p.m. CST on March 1, 2007 (the “Contest Term”). Entries received prior to or after the Contest Term will be disqualified.
4. Entry: NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY. Each contestant must first submit his/her video “commercial” to YouTube.com (and must complete all necessary registration actions with YouTube.com). Once the video is submitted to YouTube™, contestants may enter the Contest by either (i) visiting www.garmin.blogs.com and posting a comment on the dedicated Contest tab that directs Garmin to the URL of your YouTube post and provides your first and last name, mailing address, date of birth, daytime phone number, and e-mail address; or (ii) e-mailing your YouTube URL, first and last name, mailing address, date of birth, daytime phone number, and e-mail address to email@example.com. THERE IS A LIMIT OF ONE ENTRY PER PERSON. Garmin and its affiliates do not assume any responsibility for lost entries or any computer, internet, or technical malfunctions that might occur during the entry process or the submission process to YouTube. Garmin’s records will be the official log of all eligible Contest entries. Entries containing defamatory, libelous, infringing, obscene, harassing, or other unlawful or inappropriate footage, material or statements will be rejected by Garmin at its discretion. You will not be notified by Garmin if Garmin rejects your attempted entry.
Prize: Garmin will give away one (1) new nüvi™ 660 at the conclusion of the Contest Term, which has an approximate suggested retail value of $964.27. No other prizes will be given away as part of this Contest. The Prize is nontransferable and non-refundable and must be accepted as awarded. No cash or other substitution may be made, except by Garmin, who reserves the right to substitute the Prize with another prize of equal or greater value if the prize is not available for any reason as determined by Garmin in its sole discretion. Winners are responsible for any taxes associated with receipt of the Prize.
The winner will also have their video featured on the http://garmin.blogs.com/ site. Garmin reserves the right to edit the winning entry for style, length, and clarity before posting.
6. Judging criteria: Contest winners will be chosen at Garmin’s discretion based upon subjective factors such as video and story creativity, uniqueness, suitability, etc. The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received during the Contest Term. The winner will be announced via the http://garmin.blogs.com/ site within seven (7) days following the end of the Contest Term. Upon verification of Contest eligibility requirements, the winner will be awarded the Prize.
7. General Conditions: Garmin reserves the right to cancel, suspend, and/or modify the Contest if any fraud, virus, or other technical problem corrupts the administration, security, or proper play of the Contest, as determined by Garmin in its sole discretion. Garmin reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Garmin reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Garmin’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. In the event of a dispute as to any online entry, the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter will be deemed to be the entrant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet service provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address.
8. ownership and Publicity: For all Contest entries, each contestant agrees to and does hereby grant to Garmin and its designees a perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, fully paid-up, sub-licensable and royalty-free license to use, alter, change, modify, edit, adapt, morph, scan, duplicate, publicly perform, stream, use and cut the ideas, concepts, stories, videos, recording, photos, or other material (collectively the “Submitted Material”) contained in all Contest videos in any and all media now or hereafter known throughout the world, as Garmin deems fit, without restrictions of any kind or any approvals or consents required from you or any third party. You also permit the use of your name and likeness in connection with your Contest video and give Garmin the right to use your name and city if your entry is posted to the http://garmin.blogs.com/ site.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, to the extent the Submitted Material is based on, derived from, or uses materials downloaded by you or otherwise made available through the www.garmin.blogs.com or www.garmin.com sites, you understand that as between Garmin and you, the Submitted Material (including, without limitation, the results and proceeds and any other work based on or derived therefrom), and all other materials of every kind whatsoever created by you (collectively, “Work”), are a “work made for hire” (as that term is used in the United States Copyright Act) for Garmin. Garmin is the “author” of the Work for all purposes, including without limitation the copyright laws of the United States, and Garmin is the sole and exclusive owner, in perpetuity and throughout the universe, of all right, title and interest in and to the Work, including without limitation all copyrights in and to the Work (and all renewals and extensions thereof now or hereafter provided by law) and all the rights therein and thereto, including all so-called “moral rights of authors” and “droit moral” rights (which you also hereby waive) and any similar or analogous rights under the applicable laws of any country of the world. Without limiting the binding effect of any of the foregoing provisions, in the event that any of the Work is not deemed to be a “work made for hire” for Garmin, you hereby irrevocably and exclusively grant and assign to Garmin all right, title and interest in and to such Work, including, without limitation, all rights of every kind and nature (whether now known or hereafter devised, including all copyrights therein and thereto and all renewals and extensions thereof), throughout the universe, in perpetuity, for all purposes, in any and all media, whether now known or hereafter devised.
You will not have any claim against us with respect to use of the Submitted Material or Work, and to the extent a claim is made against us or any of our licensees, agents or assigns by any third party with respect to or arising from the Submitted Material or Work, you agree to indemnify and hold Garmin, and its respective affiliated companies, directors, employees, agents, licensees, contractors harmless with respect to any such claims, including, without limitation, attorneys’ costs and expenses incurred in connection therewith. You agree that: (i) your Contest entry video does not violate, and its use will not violate, the rights of any third party or any applicable law or ordinance, (ii) any identifiable person who appears in your video has provided express written consent to appear and passes along all rights for usage of their name and likeness, and (iii) your Contest entry video is not pornographic, obscene, indecent, profane, threatening, harassing, hateful, intimidating, abusive, defamatory, tortuous, fraudulent, or otherwise objectionable in any way, and does not encourage conduct that would constitute illegal activity, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any local, state, national or foreign law, including any right of publicity, right of privacy or any other proprietary right of another.
10. Limitations of Liability: Garmin and its affiliates and employees are not responsible for: (a) any inaccurate information, whether caused by entrants or printing errors; (b) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the Contest; (c) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to electronic malfunctioning of any network, hardware or software; (d) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries; or (e) any injury or damage to persons or property including, but not limited to, death, which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt of any Prize.
11. Disputes: Except where prohibited by law, entrant agrees that: (a) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in the State of Kansas; (b) any and all claims, judgments, and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering a Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (c) entrant waives the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, entrant’s rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Garmin in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of State of
12. Official Rules and Winners List: A copy of these Official Rules will be posted on http://garmin.blogs.com/. The idenity of the Contest winnder will be posted on http://garmin.blogs.com/. You can also obtain the Contest winner and a copy of these Official Rules by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope to Garmin International, Inc., Attn: Ted Gartner,
1200 East 151st Street
residents may omit return postage for Official Rules requests.